Monday, October 17, 2005

Imoni Party

Imoni means something long the lines of potato. This party is basically like a harvest festival. This party is a relatively local festival in that if you ask people from Tokyo about this they would not know what it is about. The tradition of the festival consists of going down to the river sometime in late September or October and cooking up a few different soups.

So our lab had our Imoni party on Friday. Below is a picture of one of the typical soups that were made.



One thing you will notice is that the soups are made using a big pot over a camp fire. When I was thinking about this coming up this year I wanted to do bring something somewhat American to this event. What I came up with was S'mores. For a change I will not need to explain to you guys what s'mores are which is a change from last week where I had to explain to everyone what they are.

Last weekend I went to the import store and bought the marshmallows and the graham crackers. The chocolate is sold in almost all of the stores (it was not Hersey's chocolate close enough).

After one of the soups finished cooking I got one volunteer (victim) to get started cooking their marshmallow. I realized it is difficult to tell people that you want to cook the marshmallow but be careful not to burn it because it is easy to burn. The other thing I realized is that it would have been nice to have a table to work on but oh well. Finally, I now have more respect for my mother and other people who were in charge of metering out the chocolate and graham crackers because I was trying to keep up with the influx of people with cooked marshmallows.

Below are various pictures of the roasting of the marshmallows.

The cooking


Me trying to keep up with everyone.


And the aftermath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is cool! Looks like they were having a lot of fun with it. Did they like the s'mores?

Andrew Randles said...

I guess they liked them because at least some people came back for more.