Saturday, October 21, 2006

Installing a Washing Machine


So as part of getting a new apartment I purchased a used washing machine so that I don't need to worry about going to a coin operated laundry. So you might think that I had to do some fun plumbing similar to what is shown on the left.

Far from it. The plumbing for adding a washing machines to an apartment is surprisingly easy. In my case it was just two water connections.

As can be seen below.


The water supply.
cimg2562.jpg
The waste water.
cimg2567.jpg
cimg2572.jpg

So as you can see from the pictures water supply comes directly from the tap on the sink with an adapter on the end of the tap for the hose to attach to.

For the waste water, I take out the gray waste water tube for the sink and insert the white tube for the washing machine. Beneath the bottom of the cabinet for the sink there is a pipe that comes out of the floor which I assume goes to the septic system. So obviously I can't use the sink while I am doing laundry.

What is interesting for this entire installation all I needed was a Philips head (called a plus driver in Japan) driver and a knife.

I just wanted to post this so people can get a little contrast for typical plumbing that they are use to.

Please feel free to comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wowie, that is pretty cool. And way simpler than I would have expected. Tim just learned how to solder because we needed to put in a new washer hookup. (We don't have a washer yet, but there was this little problem where water gushed continually from the old hookup.)

Also, my dad said he read your blog and it's "pretty cool" (or something like that) but I don't know if he'll ever comment...

See you next month!